|Spouse||Aleksandar (Branko) Janković|
|Date of birth||1870|
|Date of death||1933|
Zorka Janković was probably born in 1870 in Berkasovo, near Šid. She moved to Golubac with her husband, Aleksandar (Branko) Janković. After his death, she went to Vojka, where she got a job at the post-office. She moved again, to Zemun, after the end of World War I. She died after 1933.
Zorka Janković finished primary school, and, for a while, did community work with the Srpkinja Charity Collective from Golubac. In 1903, she published the first literary translation of Jovan Jovanović Zmaj's "Pesma o pesmi" ("Poem About a Poem"), in the Viennese Parlamentär. The rest of her literary work was published in the magazines Ženski svet (Women's World) and Brankovo kolo (Branko's Circle). Following the example of Savka Subotić, she recorded and studied folk traditions from Srem. She wrote 'folklorist sketches', which she would send to Sima Trojanović, who was, at the time, Head of the Ethnographic Museum in Belgrade.
In 1910, as a representative of "all Serbian lands", she participated in the organization of The Serbian Woman exhibition in Prague. She described her experience of working on the exhibition in her letters to Savka Subotić, which were published in June, that same year, in Brankovo kolo. She completed her drama Dečja duša (The Soul of Children), signed under the pen name Velikovecka Mira.
In 1911 (1913), Zorka Janković published a pamphlet, Žensko pitanje (The Woman Question), which dealt with the position of women in the "prehistoric, ancient, and modern era", focusing in particular on the "contemporary age" and encompassing the cultural, sociological and economic aspects of that position. In the Afterword (dated 1913), she gives a sketch of the female issue in the history of the Serbian people. In 1926, she published another work, Problem saveza (The Problem of Alliances), which dealt with the issue of networking and coordinating women's groups and movements. At the time, she was working as one of the secretaries of the Women's Community Board. This Board issued a book of regulations, Pravila Narodne ženske zajednice Kraljevine Srba, Hrvata i Slovenaca (Rules of the National Women's Community of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes), in 1926. From 1928 to 1933, she edited, alongside Jovan Palavestra and Jelena Demajo, the Community's herald - Glas Narodne ženske zajednice (The Voice of the National Women's Community) - which was issued monthly in Belgrade.
|Profession(s) and other activities||editor of periodical press, translator, social-cultural activist, playwright, and fiction writer/novelist|
|Memberships||Of editorial boards|
Works by this author
- Žensko pitanje 1911
- Problem savezništva 1926
Articles and other similar texts
- Pred spomenikom Milice Stojadinovićeve-Srpkinje 1913
- Pesnikinje: Milena Miladinović 1913
- Sveštenici – mučenici. 1921.
- Konkurs odojčadi u Lazarevcu 1921.
- Dom invalida u Zemunu 1921.
- Izveštaj o radu Narodnog Ženskog Saveza za godinu 1921. 1921.
- Dvadesetogodišnjica Splošnog Ženskog Društva u Ljubljani 1921.
- Dečja udruženja 1921.
- Žene kao sudije i advokati 1921.
- Čika Jovina pesma u slovenačkom prevodu 1923
- Etika kao osnov naših ženskih organizacija 1925.
- Danica Hristić, u spomen jedne velike humane duše 1926
- O palima [prvi deo] 1926
- O „palima“ [drugi deo] 1926
- O „palima“ [treći deo] 1926
- Izložba Beogradskog Ženskog Društva 1926
- O palima [četvrti deo] 1926
- O palima [peti deo] 1926
- Neudate majke 1926
- Živi mrtvaci 1926
Reception during lifetime
- Pripovedačice : Zorka (Mira) Janković (1913)
- Dr Vladislava Polit o knjizi Zorke Janković. Žensko pitanje (1913)
Reception after death
- Prepiska sa Darinkom Buljom ()
- Prepiska sa Arkadijem Varađaninom ()
- Prepiska sa Jelicom Belović-Bernadžikovski ()
- Bečki Parlamentar i prenos kostiju Branka Radičevića na Stražilovo (1954)
- Srpska štampa između dva svetska rata (1956)
- „Zorka Janković“ (2001)
- „Skica za studiju: počeci feminističkog pokreta u Vojvodini (1748-1941)“, (2001)
- Diskursne osobine privatne prepiske o knjizi Srpkinja: njezin život i rad, njezin kulturni razvitak i njezina narodna umjetnost do danas (1909-1924) (2005)
- „Janković Zorka“ (2009)
- ...kada sazremo kao kultura... Stvaralaštvo srpskih spisateljica na početku XX veka (kanon – žanr – rod) (2012)
- Zorka - čuvarka narodnih običaja (2016)
Authors read by this author
* Only authors in Knjiženstvo DB are shown