|Date of birth||October 03, 1885|
|Date of death||February 25, 1926|
Anđelija Lazarević, born in 1885 in Belgrade (Serbia), was the daughter of Laza Lazarević, a prominent Serbian writer. She inherited her father's talent for writing and was also gifted in painting. She was often ill, which considerably slowed down first her education and later her career.
She got private lessons in literature and foreign languages such as French, German, Russian, Italian, and English. She got her high school diploma in 1910 and the following year became a painting teacher in the First High School for Girls in Belgrade. She travelled to Munich (1914) and Paris (1920) with a desire to improve her painting skills. During the First World War, she worked as a nurse. She died in Belgrade, aged 41.
|Place of birth||Beograd|
|Place(s) of residence||Austria, Croatia, France, Germany, Serbia, and Slovenia|
|Place of death||Beograd|
|Social class||Upper class|
|Education||Educated at home and School education|
Anđelija Lazarević wrote her first prose work "Lutanja" ("Wanderings") a year before the outbreak of the First World War. Literary critic Jovan Skerlić encouraged her to continue writing and accepted her manuscript for publication but it did not appear in press at the time due to Skerlić's sudden death. An excerpt of this short story was published, with certain modifications, in Misao (Thought).
Anđelija Lazarević wrote poetry too, the spirit of which is close to that of her contemporaries Ivo Andrić, Danica Marković, and Desanka Maksimović. Her prose also contains a distinct lyrical tone. On the whole, her work belongs to the modern stream of Serbian post-war writing.
Anđelija Lazarević, "Govor stvari" (Speech of things), Sluzbeni glasnik, Beograd, 2012.
Written by Vladimir Đurić
Modified by Višnja Krstić
|Profession(s) and other activities||Painter, poet, social-cultural activist, nurse, fiction writer/novelist, and teacher/governess|
|Language(s) in which she wrote||Serbian|
|Financial aspects of her career||Salary|
Works by this author
Articles and other similar texts
- Aneta 1. mart 1924.
- Cvet kraj puta 1. septembar 1924.
- Poseta 1. decembar 1919.
- Mihailo 1. i 16. mart 1925.
- Senka 1. april 1920.
- Vrapci 1. novembar 1923.
- Čovek sa bremenom 1. novembar 1923.
- Lutanja 1. januar 1924.
- Dve vatre 1. mart 1919.
- Što se stramiš? 16. jul 1904.
- Lutanja 16. januar 1924.
- Pismo iz Splita. Špinut 16. decembar 1924.
- U noći 20. mart 1920.
- Melanholija 1919
- Bele zastave 1919
- Lutanja (Fragmenti) 1920
Reception during lifetime
Reception after death
- Anđelija Lazarevićeva (1926)
- Anđelija L. Lazarević (1926)
- Anđelija L. Lazarević (1926)
- Književno delo Anđelije L. Lazarević - "Palanka u planini" i "Lutanja" (1926)
- † Anđelija L. Lazarević (1926)
- Slikarke u srpskoj istoriji umetnosti (1938)
- Anđelija Lazarević (1973)
- Pritajeni bolovi žena - kroz prozu Anđelije L. Lazarević (2012)
- Anđelija Lazarević, zaboravljena književnica i slikarka (2015)
Authors read by this author
* Only authors in Knjiženstvo DB are shown